Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Triathlete switching from Keppra & Effexor to lamotrigine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 In_Remission_addinde

In_Remission_addinde
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

So this is my first post. I just got prescribed Lamictal (got the generic Teva brand). My hope is that this med will finally help fill the slot of mood stabilizer / seizure med. I have been riding the mood medication merry go round (zoloft, prozac, paxil, welbutrin, lexapro,lithium, cymbalta, abilify, and now Effexor XR) for about ten years since my first seizure and anxiety/depression kicked in. I have just been diagnosed as BP II, and am confident that I am finally heading in the right direction after years of (sometimes daily) mood cycling. After doing research on my own, I decided to man up and TELL my psych that the SSRI/SNRI route just was not cutting it and that I would like to try drop my Keppra and try Lamictal as a mood stabilizer as wel as primary seizure med. For the past few months I have been on Keppra for my partial complex seizures and it made me into a miserable SOB by sending me into a dark pit of depression.

I also take Adderall XR for my severe add, and it has been a miracle drug for me, as well as Coumadin for a genetic blood clotting disorder.

My question is almost as complex as my history. I hate the fact that I have to take these meds, but have finally come to the realization that I am going to need them for the rest of my life. I am a competitive triathlete, and through most of the year I am very active and eat well. It is only when I start cycling and the depression kicks in that I become a junk food eating couch potato for days, weeks or even months. I am currently experiencing one of my depressive phases.

1)Can anyone give me an idea what to expect as I start taking Lamictal with the Adderall and Effexor? My psych wants me to titrate the Effexor down slowly to about 75 mg pd as I titrate the Lamictal slowly up towards 200mg. I am starting at 25 mg pd.

2)Does anyone have experience doing long amounts of exercise on this med? I dont have any races for the next few months, but I do race in Ironman distance triathlons, and don't want to take something that is going to kill my performance. My current regimen has really hurt my performance this year, and I want to try and fix the problem, not make it worse.

Any input would be appreciated.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

I've changed the title of this topic to something relevant.

try drop my Keppra and try Lamictal as a mood stabilizer as wel as primary seizure med. For the past few months I have been on Keppra for my partial complex seizures and it made me into a miserable SOB by sending me into a dark pit of depression.

Keppra and Lamictal have really different mechanisms of action, and Keppra has hardly any drug-drug interactions, and that includes Coumadin (warfarin) - the drug that every pharmaceutical company is scared shitless over interactions with. So just in case the Lamictal doesn't work for the seizures, have you tried taking Keppra three times a day? With its really short half-life (6-8 hours), twice-a-day dosing doesn't maintain a true steady state, and that's what seems to cause the infamous Keppra depression and/or anger for some people.

1)Can anyone give me an idea what to expect as I start taking Lamictal with the Adderall and Effexor? My psych wants me to titrate the Effexor down slowly to about 75 mg pd as I titrate the Lamictal slowly up towards 200mg. I am starting at 25 mg pd.

That depends on your Lamictal titration schedule, the cross-tapering of Keppra, and how well you deal with Effexor discontinuation. If you define "slowly" as a week, there shouldn't be much of a problem as far the Effexor discontinuation is concerned. Effexor + low dosage Lamictal + Adderall could equal mania if you're not taking any Keppra. And if you're not taking Keppra and the Lamictal dosage is too low the Adderall would probably do wonders for your seizure threshold.

When taking Lamictal, and no other anticonvulsant, for both bipolar disorder and epilepsy, you don't have the luxury of stopping at the dosage that works for mood stabilization.

2)Does anyone have experience doing long amounts of exercise on this med? I dont have any races for the next few months, but I do race in Ironman distance triathlons, and don't want to take something that is going to kill my performance. My current regimen has really hurt my performance this year, and I want to try and fix the problem, not make it worse.

I have no experience with long exercise on meds, and nothing close to what you do under any circumstances. The only thing I can find in the literature is an increased risk of hyponatremia, which happens to people taking anticonvulsants who sit around all day watching TV. So you'll need to increase the electrolyte content of your drinks. Other than that, you're in a much better position to tell us if the severe muscle ache side effect from Lamictal and/or a full-on tonic-clonic seizure, if you have the misfortune to experience either, really does feel like the aftermath of a triathlon.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog