Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Paxil: How Long Does It Take To Work?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_bipony

In_Remission_bipony
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

Hi I have been taking Paxil CR for two weeks (first week 12.5mg CR and second 25mg cr). I don't have side effects but also the benefit that I am feeling are very limited. I just feel a little more outgoing but hardly noticeble.
Can you please give me your experience on what did you feel and when? in how many weeks or months did you feel it? I find lots of comments about Paxil but nothing expecific about timing.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

Like other SSRIs, Paxil may take up to 6-8 weeks to fully kick in. If you increase the dose, it may also take that new dose to fully kick in.

Good luck!
Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#3 In_Remission_bipony

In_Remission_bipony
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

Like other SSRIs, Paxil may take up to 6-8 weeks to fully kick in. If you increase the dose, it may also take that new dose to fully kick in.

Good luck!

Thanks the reply but will like to hear from personal experience with Paxil specificatly. Any one out there?

#4 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

That is specific.

Everyone responds differently to medications.

Some people "feel something" after their first dose. Is it a placebo effect? Who knows. Some people magically reach stability within a week, some people take a solid 2 months, some people never have any response to a drug.

It isn't specific to Paxil, it is specific to you.

Personally, I could take Lexapro for 3-4 days a month prior to menses and have the desired effect. For years. Other people? They couldn't feel a thing unless they had been on the drug for 2 months solid.

Drugs may be drugs but brains are individual, and until you try something out on YOUR brain, you won't know how it works for YOU.

Dymphna

PS: I've been on Paxil, too. My experience won't match yours.

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#5 medicated13

medicated13

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP
  • Current Meds:Paxil 60mg; Lithium 1200mg; zopiclone 7.5 mg; trazodone 75mg; xanax prn

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hi bipony

I have been on paxil twice - 1998 for 3 years and then again for about the last year
It takes about 4 weeks to have any noticeable change in mood for me (both times)
As you can see I am on a high dose, and titrated up to that dose over a month both times.
For me, side effects were faster than the intended effects (!)
I had some burning in my stomach and other vision weirdness....
Once it starts working, it is a very good drug for fighting MDD - which is why I agreed to go back on it after the hell of getting off it the first time when Celeca pooped out for me.
My expereince was that I didn't realize it was working until I felt better, than thought back and realized that I had been feeling better for a few days.

Stay with it - it's not an immediately effective drug, but it should work.
Dx: BP1, PTSD, some borderlinee traits
Rx: Depakote 1000mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Xanax 1mg, Imovaine 15mg.

#6 sg2028

sg2028

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Diagnoses:major depression, severe, recurrent

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Never worked for me. I had some mild side effects - dry mouth, some motor agitation - that faded after a couple of weeks, but never had any positive results. Gave it a full med trial at a high dose, but nothing.

It sucks to give it a full 4-6 weeks at the target dose only to find out it's not going to do anything for you but....it would suck a whole lot more if it WAS going to be a good drug for you and you didn't give it long enough to find out.

#7 In_Remission_bipony

In_Remission_bipony
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

That is specific.

Everyone responds differently to medications.

Some people "feel something" after their first dose. Is it a placebo effect? Who knows. Some people magically reach stability within a week, some people take a solid 2 months, some people never have any response to a drug.

It isn't specific to Paxil, it is specific to you.

Personally, I could take Lexapro for 3-4 days a month prior to menses and have the desired effect. For years. Other people? They couldn't feel a thing unless they had been on the drug for 2 months solid.

Drugs may be drugs but brains are individual, and until you try something out on YOUR brain, you won't know how it works for YOU.

Dymphna

Thank u all for the responses Dymphna and medicated13 and the others. It has been now 4 weeks for me on 25mg paxil and the past two days I felt better with a sense of well being (hardly noticeble but I can live with that). Today the effect is not present like in the past two days but I will think I am adjusting.

#8 medicated13

medicated13

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Current Meds:Paxil 60mg; Lithium 1200mg; zopiclone 7.5 mg; trazodone 75mg; xanax prn

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

bipony
How are you feeling?
Rx: Depakote 1000mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Xanax 1mg, Imovaine 15mg.

#9 In_Remission_bipony

In_Remission_bipony
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

bipony
How are you feeling?

med13 thank very much for asking. After I experience the two full days of feeling better with Paxil the feeling did not come back. My depresion kick in once again and I did not feel like doing anthing but sleep. I told the doctor and after 4 week with 25mg he decided to increase to 50mg (25mg morning and 25mg night). This was about 4 days ago and I still dont feel better from my depression. perhaps a little more energy. What are your thoughts? I will welcome all you guys opinions.

#10 medicated13

medicated13

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

My opinion only...
Keep with it.
It works and works well if it works for you, but...
When I went a little crazy I decided I didn`t need it anymore and went off cold turkey. It was pure hell.
I went for YEARS telling anyone who even mentioned Paxil what a shitty drug it was to get off, to stay off it blah blah blah

Years later, the memory of how well it worked for me conviced me to go back on it despite the shit I went through.
That for me at least is a very strong indication of the difference it has made to me.

Everyone is different - my dad and sister were on it before me and since there is some theoretical opinion that positive med experiences can sometimes be correalted if family members find a drug works maybe that is why it worked for me.

Other drugs did nothing for me - effexor-nada, remeron-made me an angry mess one week in, etc;

It's a decision only you and your doc can make.
If you need to vent, or have specific questions, pm me!

#11 In_Remission_Margaret

In_Remission_Margaret
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

I just started taking it on 01/20/2011....I felt the effects almost immediately, within 4-5 hours of taking it. I am VERY sensitive to any drug I take, coffee, asprin, decongestants, anything. So I'm not surprised by my reaction of feeling the hellish state I'd been in start to lift so quickly. Psychomatic? Real?...don't know don't give a shit...all I know is that I've stopped crying, I've slept a full 8 hours two nights in a row, and I actually ate a PBJ and drank a glass of chocolate milk last night!

Prior to this, for the last seven days no food/appetite other than maybe a cup of coffee and box of fries on a couple of days, no more than 2-3 hours of sleep between 3am and 6am, unconsolable crying/depression, sucidial ideation, no showers, social withdrawel, the whole time taking zoloft 100mg each day faithfully. It was bad, and it kept on going and going and going...I missed 3 days work, it completely stopped me dead in my tracks. It was time to get help.

yes I am very scared about taking paxil....I'll deal with what happens if I have to get off it when that day comes, for right now...thank God I'm cleaned up, I don't feel depressed, and I have an interest in mopping the floors and walking the dog finally.

So this what like day four....I felt almost catatonic when I woke up this morning...couldn't string two thoughts together long enough to know I needed slippers on if my feet were cold. Gave myself an hour and a cup of coffee hoping the brain fog and tiredness would disapate. it did. I'm wondering if this is something I'll have to plan for everymorning from now on or if its just a short term effect that will dissapear. I'll deal with the hour morning warm up for now; I just have to plan it out and hope i hear the alarm clock in the morning.

Margaret

#12 Guitarman78

Guitarman78

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety/depression/personality disorder
  • Current Meds:paroxetine/mirtazapine/Propranolol

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

I know this is an old thread, but as I have just started taking Paroxetine I thought it was OK to post. I started taking 60mg today, & I feel as if I can feel some effects strait away, maybe it is a placebo effect, but I have took lots of other SSRIs over the years & some of them have took a few weeks to give any kind of effects. I am taking Mirtazipine as well ( 15mg down from 45mg ) does dropped a few weeks ago, as he was getting me ready for the new drug, mainly as I have barley been able to lift my head of my pillow, just been a really bad time for me, and as I am only 34, I sometimes feel like I am in a rut, although I suffered from the age of 16, when I was younger I had that young energy, that always stopped me going beyond the brink, & although some will say I am still young at 34, I have a much different mind set now, from the age of 27, I started looking at life a lot differently, Anyway I will post again in 1 week, then 2 weeks, then 3 & 4 right upto about 6 weeks, just to let people know how the drug is effecting me, & maybe it will help others make some kind of choice as to weather they want to try that drug, because as I suffer really bad with Anxiety and depression, and mood swings, also have been diagnosed with personality disorder, if the drug can help me a great deal, then maybe it will work great with someone who is suffering similar circumstances.

#13 brazilian30

brazilian30

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Hi , I also suffer from depression , anxiety , mood swings and personality disorder ... Sounds crazy but I'm on my second day on Paxil (20mg) and I already can feel the positive effect from it . My only concern is weight gain , several opinions about it . Please if you can I would appreciate if you share your weight experiences while on it . Btw, i exercise 5 times per week and keep healthy diet . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 needhope

needhope

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 78 posts
  • Diagnoses:Socia Anxiety Disorder ?
  • Current Meds:Paxil 20mg Mirtazapine 7.5mg

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Brazilian - I have been on Paxil previously for 10 years and back on it now and it does increase appetite so may increase weight but overall I was able to still diet and lose the weight while still on Paxil.

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog