Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy

Luvox And Smoking?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_mike104

In_Remission_mike104
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

This is my first night on Luvox, popped a pill of 50mg a few hours ago. I have read that smoking decreases the effect of the drug, but as a typical smoker, I ignored it.

So right now I lit a cigarette, and I couldn't finish it. It tasted horrible to me. Does Luvox also affect the pleasure you get from smoking?

Also, is it really a big deal if I continue to smoke? I know it is a bad and unhealthy habit but I'm not ready right now to quit this addiction.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

Luvox did not have an influence on my smoking. I did quit a few weeks ago, but that was mainly due to the concerns of the interaction.
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#3 In_Remission_sad

In_Remission_sad
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

Luvox did not have an influence on my smoking. I did quit a few weeks ago, but that was mainly due to the concerns of the interaction.

#4 In_Remission_sad

In_Remission_sad
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

This is my first night on Luvox, popped a pill of 50mg a few hours ago. I have read that smoking decreases the effect of the drug, but as a typical smoker, I ignored it.

So right now I lit a cigarette, and I couldn't finish it. It tasted horrible to me. Does Luvox also affect the pleasure you get from smoking?

Also, is it really a big deal if I continue to smoke? I know it is a bad and unhealthy habit but I'm not ready right now to quit this addiction.

smoking isn't as unhealthy as luvox

#5 Deep Sea Philosopher

Deep Sea Philosopher

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

How is smoking healthier than Luvox?!
My Kind of Crazy: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Bipolar Type

Meds: 30mg Dexedrine Spansule .. 200mg Lamictal .. 80mg Latuda .. 600mg Neurontin .. 200mg Ultram ER

Some people say the grass is always greener on the other side.
I say be the gardener. Water it. Feed it. Make your own grass grow.
I make the grass greener wherever I am. I'm the gardener.

#6 In_Remission_mike104

In_Remission_mike104
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

why is luvox unhealthy?

#7 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

While smoking affects Luvox, I can't find a damn thing about Luvox affecting smoking, other than the usual incidents of mixing two drugs that mess around with neurotransmitters and receptors. Especially two drugs that affect the same conditions. Taste perversion is a known, albeit infrequent side effect of Luvox, so it might be that.

Because smoking increases the clearance of Luvox by 25-30%, quitting cold turkey isn't a good idea. So it's not a big deal to continue smoking as far as Luvox is concerned, just work with the doctor who prescribes the Luvox and quit by reducing the amount you smoke and/or use a patch or gum.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#8 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 30mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

I was on Luvox for about three months, and I couldn't finish my second cigarette without feeling like I was gonna puke. Normally I can smoke a couple cigs and feel great, but when I Luvox made smoking so unpleasant.

If Luvox were like Paxil when it came to discontinuation syndrome I'd guess it was the second cigarette causing you to have too little Luvox that was making you sick. While Luvox isn't like that, it's the only SSRI with a half-life that's less than a day (~15 hours). That's still a longshot.
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#9 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

I'm Big Tobacco's biggest enabler, but that statement is utter bullshit.

#10 wynand32

wynand32

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD
  • Current Meds:Luvox

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I've gotten a bit confused about the whole smoking/nicotine vs. Luvox question. Basically, most information I've seen is that it's certain hydrocarbons in cigarette smoke that cause the problems with Luvox, not the nicotine. But, I've read a few references that say it's the nicotine. Can anyone clarify?

#11 mfortunato

mfortunato

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, ADHD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Luvox 300mg, strattera 80mg, Buspar 60mg, and risperdal 1mg

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

i would like to know this too wynand32. if i should switch to eletronic cigs to get a better reaction to the meds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions