Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Provigil And Creativity?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bergsonisme

bergsonisme

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Diagnoses:F31, F44, F82, F90
  • Current Meds:LTG, CPZ, Li2CO3, MFL

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

Background: I'm being treated for ADHD, inattentive type, for 24-26 months now. First I took "ordinary Ritalin", which, of course, I used to forget to take during the day, with the resulting mood swings. Then we switched to Ritalin LA, which is essentially a capsule with ritalin and starch programmed so you get two shots, spaced about four hours between them. The mood swings were even worse -- I had a timely, 16:20 to 16:40 existential crisis; this may sound like fiction, but bloody hell, when one is "inside" a mood, it's hard to see it from a perspective.

So anyway, we switched to Provigil. Provigil was slightly less potent than Ritalin by the shot, but it was stable. If I doubled up on my dose, I actually got about twice as productive -- while increasing Ritalin over 30 or 40mg had drastically diminishing resuls accompanied with linear euphoric mood effects. I've been on 200mg Provigil since May 5th 2009.

The thing is, when I check the entry frequency in the blog I used to have, there are 15 posts a month until may, many mathematically heavy, and then maybe four entries until I shut it down in last january. When I think about it in a wider sense, I haven't really "produced" anything in the past 12 months -- I became a voracious reader, accumulating information for gluttony's sake, but rarely even wrote again. Actually, I wrote two short fictional stories that I posted on E2, but these were by the very early morning on weekends, when I didn't want to wake up my fiancé sleeping right next to me so I just typed it out before my Provigil. But about mathematics, nothing. In an even wider sense, I haven't felt motivated much to do anything since about may 2009; I have thought at separate times -- "I want to play bass", "I want to learn a martial art", "I want to take acting classes", but never went through with even the first steps of it (finding schools, etc.)

I actually talked about this with my pdoc last thursday, not suspecting the Provigil yet; I felt stable on my meds, so we spent all of my time talking about things, doing some ad-hoc therapy. He did inspire me to do some soul searching on what psychological mechanisms might be holding me back and recover the fire in my belly.

Provigil does me a lot of good. I can function in the way others expect me to. If I had been taking Provigil since college times, I might had graduated with the good scores and deeper knowledge that my smarts have the potential to achieve. (Instead, I graduated through day-before rushes, and when I was in graduate school and needed to write a Masters' thesis, I just couldn't do it -- no firing peloton outside the door).

But over the last year, I seem to have lost the ability to think outside the box. And it seems clear that this dates to may 2009.

This may be a chronological coincidence with me generally settling down in a comfort zone and realizing my frantic efforts to develop innovative solutions and break down paradigms are just not worth the payoff. But it's a strong discontinuity. And it makes sense with how Provigil is supposed to work -- flooding your brain with dopamine and all that jazz, ADHD being supposed to be about low dopamine levels at the attention center of the brain, making it look around for, oh the relationships between building code and median sunshine levels throughout the city. Or something else. Of course Ritalin did that, but Ritalin wore off, and I had my evenings to grapple with my own off-the-wall crusades.

So I decided to experiment. I experience no Provigil withdrawal -- I've forgotten to take it several times over the past year, with no mood effects -- so I just thought I would skip it today. Then I went to the shower and spent so much time thinking about this (and how the Elo rating system might apply to economic transactions with aggregate data) that I lost my bus.

Can't live without it, slowly dying inside with it. Maybe I should take a few days off the stuff and write/record the Provigil blues. 'Cause you know, I lost my bus -- and the devil always takes its dues...
I'm off the bus. I randomized my password punching the keyboard and copying-and-pasting it.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Try not taking it on the weekends and doing your crazy ass ADHD shit then. Could be kind of fun....

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#3 litgirl

litgirl

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP I, e/d (anorexia - in remission phase)
  • Current Meds:Zyprexa Zydis, Topamax, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Provigil, Xanax, Metformin

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

I'm the opposite - I'm far more productive when I take the Provigil. I'm a writer, and when I'm taking Provigil I can write all day. When I don't take it I just don't have the energy or focus to work. It doesn't sap me of creativity at all. Other drugs have (lithium especially!) But not this one.

Zyprexa Zydis 30 mg, Topamax 100mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Seroquel 400 mg, Provigil 200mg PRN, Xanax 1mg PRN

#4 chiara

chiara

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I; ADHD
  • Current Meds:Pristiq (50), Topamax (100), Clonidine (.4), Lamictal (working up to 100), Adderall (30)

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

Are you on anything else that could sack your creativity? I just started Lamictal and I cannot think my way out of a paper bag. However, I am on Adderall after trying other ADD meds that made me freak out/get angry/want to throw fits, etc. Before I started the Lamictal, the Adderall was working fine and I could think clearly, outside of the box, creatively and organized. My doctor had me on a low dose (10) of the XR. He said that he had heard of other people having similar effects to some of the other ADD drugs. I haven't had this problem with Adderall. A low dose and the XR may help. Just a thought.
Past meds:
AD: Prozac, Zoloft, Serzone, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Strattera, Paxil
AP: Risperdal, Seroquel, Abilify, Saphris, Latuda
MS: Lamictal, Depakote, Trileptal, Lithium (gave me a rash)
Others: Ambien, Rozerem, Trazodone

#5 In_Remission_ADHD UNSTABLE

In_Remission_ADHD UNSTABLE
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

OMG, today my reaction to Provigil was aweful !!
I want to know if anyone ever experienced this.
I took one 200ml first thing as soon as i woke up.
Directions fm my dr are to take one 200 ml twice a day
5 hrs later i took my next dose and i felt like i was
high and disconnected from myself, in a way it was
like a mental fatigue, all i could do was just sit.
I felt soo weird that i skipped my aderrall n effexor.
Ive never had this reaction before, ive been taking it
for like four years.It's finally wearing of slowly.

#6 bergsonisme

bergsonisme

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Diagnoses:F31, F44, F82, F90
  • Current Meds:LTG, CPZ, Li2CO3, MFL

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:56 AM

The thing about Provigil and creativity, I've learned since -- but this is a personal experience not based on scientific research -- is that it enhances productivity, but creativity is another thing entirely. When you create, your knowledge base consumes information entropy, and after a while of focusing on creating all the time -- whether for work or personal aspirations -- you're tapped out.

Staying off Provigil on weekends often helps, but it's not strictly necessary; I've taken to spending an hour or so after work free-walking or sitting in the town squares (it's a big city; I work near about five pretty public leisure places with exercise contraptions for the elderly and swings and suchlike for kids) just thinking of the wind. It seems to me that letting myself absorb the disordered information -- children screaming, the wind, clouds -- taking entropy in.

Again, this is personal anecdote.
I'm off the bus. I randomized my password punching the keyboard and copying-and-pasting it.

#7 arieswmn

arieswmn

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 100mg. Lamictal 150 mg. N-acetyl cysteine. Folic Acid 800 mcg.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

The thing about Provigil and creativity, I've learned since -- but this is a personal experience not based on scientific research -- is that it enhances productivity, but creativity is another thing entirely. When you create, your knowledge base consumes information entropy, and after a while of focusing on creating all the time -- whether for work or personal aspirations -- you're tapped out.

Staying off Provigil on weekends often helps, but it's not strictly necessary; I've taken to spending an hour or so after work free-walking or sitting in the town squares (it's a big city; I work near about five pretty public leisure places with exercise contraptions for the elderly and swings and suchlike for kids) just thinking of the wind. It seems to me that letting myself absorb the disordered information -- children screaming, the wind, clouds -- taking entropy in.

I've def heard people say this about increased productivity and decreased creativity w regards to other ADHD meds.

previous drugs
Lexapro, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Keppra, Trileptal, Prozac.

#8 In_Remission_Harkume

In_Remission_Harkume
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

I've def heard people say this about increased productivity and decreased creativity w regards to other ADHD meds.

I would say nothing of the sort, but that's just me. I feel like ADD meds, for me, let me think outside the box, or at least get my mind out of the damned box to see someone resembling my former self many years ago. That person who is unshackled by the hindrances of anxiety, depression, ADD and the resulting side effects of the drugs used to treat. I have though, OP, seemed to have lost a lot of passion and as a result feel the once prominent inner fire of my being fade away to a barely flickering flame. I am as creative as ever, I just don't feel the urge to utilize my creativity as much as before. Maybe it stems from something else in my cocktail, but who knows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog